www.flickr.com

Thursday, July 20, 2006

What is it with Adelaide and Arsonists, Ram Raids, Graffiti and Hold Ups

Adelaide appears to have a very high rate of arson. There was another residential house fire bombed last night. I hear it almost as much as I heard murders on the nightly news when I lived near Denver. Schools, houses, public facilities are all fair game it seems for fun. Likely kids, but some very large facilities have been put to the match. You very rarely hear of murders by gun here, with guns only figuring in hold ups of petrol stations and convenience stores. They are basically banned after the Port Arthur massacre and I assume hard to get. Not like in Amerika Y'all. I was always surprised how many Americans had guns in their house. There were certainly plenty of gun shops, including Mike Moore's favourite KMart, where I never really got over the little gun shop within the store. Very jarring. Our neighbours here went through a very violent patch and based upon my experience in America, I kept expecting to hear a gun shot. In the end it never got above a lot of yelling and screaming, some drunken brawls and one of the sisters trying to run the other down as she tried to walk to work. Ram raids and graffiti are the other means of keeping the criminally inclined occupied.

No comments: