www.flickr.com

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Sad Sad Sports Sacks

It is a degree of loyalty which may never be put to the test, but Australian men have pledged their willingness to abstain from sex in return for their cricketers reclaiming the Ashes from England.

Confirming that there are few things in life more dear to Australians than sport, a survey found that 41 per cent would forgo for a month the pleasures of the bedroom in return for victory.

Thanks to Tim Worstall for this important piece of social commentary. Based upon the behaviour of my Australian colleagues, I think that this is probably true. Some would probably commit to a year in return for a clean sweep.

Come on Kevin!! Don't let it happen.

4 comments:

CityUnslicker said...

We were never going to win the Ashes in Aus anyway. Another generation before that happens. Need Warne and McGrath to retire.

Colin Campbell said...

I think most people accept that. Aussies are just a trifle passionate about getting "their" little urn back. I also agree that Australia are tough to beat at home and their fans expect this.

Jeremy Jacobs said...

It ain't over until the fat lady sings!

Bill Haydon said...

Jeez, I would abstain from life (for a limited period) in return for the Ashes. I would happily be cryogenically frozen for say, 10 million years, as long as I could know that at the end of it, England had won the Ashes. there's a religious precedent for this, I think....