www.flickr.com

Friday, July 20, 2007

Birdsville Races Somewhat Different from Royal Ascot


The Birdsville Races are the most famous outback races in Australia. They are held every August in Western Queensland and almost everyone has to drive about three days to get there, with no tarred roads, mobile phone coverage, hotel rooms or other creature comforts us urban softies take for granted. A real Australian tradition of a weekend of drinking, pies, punting, horse racing, sun, barbies, dust, camping and entertainment.

I wonder how long these kinds of events will survive as Australia becomes increasingly urbanised.

When I was growing up the Point to Point was held every year, just down the road at Balcormo. It was the same kind of thing. People would congregate for the day and enjoy the racing, have a punt, beer and a pie and then go home. At least at Birdsville you can pretty much count on the weather.

As for racing, I still don't see the attraction.

3 comments:

pommygranate said...

are you going colin?

Colin Campbell said...

I think that it might be something to experience once. There are quite a few closer races with some of the same ozzie bush ambience.

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did
you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it
for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. kudos

My blog :: chapter 13 bankruptcy florida